Monday, March 30, 2009

Cool, Calm, ...and a little divine (!)

Someone recently introduced me as being “Cool, Calm, and a little divine”!
When pressed, they explained that I always seem to come across as being relatively unflappable (hence the cool and calm), but also that I seem to be able to simple 'arrive' with a group, quietly sort out their problems whatever they may be and then smoothly leave again (hence the divine).


This got me thinking – as someone who professes a Christian faith, I'm always seeking ways in which to reflect and integrate this into the ways that I work. And in turn, this has led to my being involved with various faith based enterprises (Christian and other) and also in supporting and speaking at theological colleges and national initiatives.

While I'm not sure yet how heretical I might be being in not refuting this person's view of my 'divinity' it is reassuring to know that the way in which I aspire to work based on my values is being recognised by at least some of those around me.

As co-operatives, social enterprise and others, we are defined by our values, so its crucial to ensure that those values are not only being made manifest, but are also being recognised by others; social accounting is one way to start to explore how well we're achieving this, but asking someone to introduce you may be just as revealing...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this! I have just been contemplating this lately -- ironically, through the technology of video chat where I could see myself how others do, when I was 'directing' their actions for a web broadcast!

    It's like a wormhole, getting sucked into how you are 'seen' v. how you really 'are'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also posted a link to this post on my blog in recognition of your thesis: http://imuafilm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete